Monday, June 30, 2014

The Fitness Part of Getting Fit...Mommy Goals!

I know for me exercising is the cherry on top that leads to me feeling strong, slim and confident.  I like the slight soreness.  I feel proud knowing I stretched my body and pushed it a little farther than I would have otherwise.  BUT FOR SOME REASON I DON'T MAKE IT A PRIORITY!!!

I don't know why.

I mean, I am a STAHM of 3, and that does keep me busy.

There's the interruption of kids while I work out, the tiredness at the end of the day if I try to wait till they are in bed to work-out, and then even more tiredness in the morning if I try to get up early.  But STILL!!!  I'm always so happy when I've completed a workout, yet that only happens every few days.  Why?  If it's moving me toward my goals of being healthier, why don't I make it a priority.

I think it's because I want instant-gratification.  I want to see that scale drop right now.  And the truth is it doesn't work that way.  Health and weight-loss progress takes an investment.  It means minutes, and hours and days of making up for wasted time.

So, I am rededicating myself.  This week, 30 mins a day is all I'm shooting for.  That's not asking too much.  I've done it before, and I can do it again....I think...I hope...AAAAHHH!!!!  I want to!!!!

It's such a hard trade off.  Some days fighting the kids to get "me-time" isn't worth it.   I explode because they need me every 30 seconds or try to ask me questions in the middle of a set of push ups, when I'm red faced and beyond out of breath.  SO this goal has to have some reality checks.

First, I will get my exercise stuff set up and then get the kids set up with some quiet time activities and snacks.  Then I will IMMEDIATELY start working out.  No Facebook or blog checking.  No phone calls or texts.  I will already have water ready and be dressed to work-out so no wandering around the house and getting distracted.  I think this precaution will maximize my time so I can get the most work-out done.

Also, I need to be realistic and expect some interruptions.  And that's OK.  I love my kids and they are the number one reason I am trying to be healthier and more fit.  So "Something is better than nothing."  Some work out is better than none, and I know if I freak out and explode out of frustration then my work-out will definitely get cut short.  So EXPECT interruptions, put what's most important first i.e. the kids, handle them gracefully, and move on.  Literally, MOVE IT and start working out again!

Of course I also exercise with the kids, and there is always an open invitation for them to join me, but there are some things I like to do on my own too.  Besides it really isn't possible for me to exercise too much with a little work out on my own and some play time with the kids at the park or on the trampoline.  If exercise is my cherry on top, then I would like LOTS of cherries on top!  Here's to lots of exercising this week!

Love,
Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment