Monday, April 23, 2012

(Continuing) Healthy Food Ideas...

So, I probably shouldn't even try posting on the weekends. With dates, long runs, and family activities it just doesn't happen! But better late than never, right? So here's the post I've sat down to write three times...also, they changed the blogger site and the formatting is not agreeing with me, so plz bear with me as I figure out how to get the program to listen to me and format how I want it too! :) First, I want to post some internet sites I found recently at the request of a friend... These are diabetes-friendly recipes that are healthy options even for people not suffering from diabetes. Eating like this now can prevent getting the disease later. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Diabetes/DiabetesToolsResources/Diabetes-Friendly-Recipes_UCM_313900_Article.jsp http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/diabetic-recipes/ http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20307365,00.html Flipping though these tasty-looking recipes reaffirmed to me my belief that there is a healthy option for every food you love. That truth is what has helped me stick with this change in lifestyle. Love omelettes? Great. Make them with egg whites or egg-substitute and pile on the veggies and low-fat cheese (mozzarella or provolone are lighter options! Love chocolate? Fine, whip out some sugar-free alternative and start baking. Crave mexican? Cook some ground turkey up with taco seasoning. There is always a healthy way to cook the same food! I don't even think about what "I can't have" because all I think about is what "I can have..." The options are endless. Here are some more ideas of low-calorie food options I've come to love... 6. Egg-White Skillet- It's basically what it sounds like. I cook up some eggwhites (which are only 20 calories per egg) with onions, tomotoes, mushrooms and freshly chopped garlic. I don't cook it in butter, but just give my non-stick pana quick spray of vegetable oil. Mrs. Dash helps me season my tasty creation without salt. So yummy and filling!
7. Veggies With Dip or Veggie Sandwiches- I know there are some vegetarians out there so this is a double option. Sliced cucumbers, tomato, celery with a little low-fat peanut butter, sour cream or hummus is a great snack option. For me, the protein is what really makes me feel full, so I also recommend string cheese with veggies, or lean deli poultry slices or tuna. Put it inbetween two veggies for a cute, healthy little veggie-sandwich! 8. A Bowl of Cereal with Lots of Milk (it DOES do a body good!)- Cereal is something else I used to eat four bowls of before feeling full. Now I know to choose cereals with some grains to fill me up faster, but even more important, I finish my milk! Chances are you will be getting most of your protein from the milk so give your body a chance to take that in and digest before filling that bowl of leftover milk with more cereal. You probably don't even need it. :)
9. Popcorn- One of the reasons I felt frustrated and put off healthy eating habits 100% of the time was because I didn't want to feel like I always had to be eating something different from the rest of my family. Popcorn was one of the first foods where I felt like I could make a healthy choice and include my family too. There are tons of light, low-calorie options for this snack. Just look at the label above to see the difference when you use a lighter oil. You can buy portion-sized packets, pop it yourself over the stove and omit the salt, or just use a little I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray for some flavor. Best of all, with this food choice you can enjoy your movie and still stick to a healthy lifestyle. 10. Creamy Goodness and Desserts- What else have I filled our fridge with to satisfy our sweettooths? Sugar-free puddings and jello cups, Greek Yogurt, light popsicles (some are only 15 calories), Fat-free cool whip to dip fresh fruit in...really there are SO many low-cal options I couldn't list them all. I can't say that I will always use sugar substitutes, but right now getting my waistline down is what's most important for my heart and health and eating fewer calories is part of that process. I'm finding that while the flavor isn't always quite tha same (although sometimes it is- I LOVE Greek Yogurt and Sugar Free popsicles and chocolate pudding) I'm satisfying a craving for something sweet without indulging and loving it SO MUCH that I have to have third and fourth servings. In other words, in a way I'm satisfied sooner because it's good but not so good I want to have the whole package. :) I hope these ideas for enjoying more fruits and veggies in your diet and ways of swapping out high-fat and calorie foods for lower sugar and lower calorie options make their way into your meal-planning. Again, I just have to mention that I am no a doctor or nutrionist. These are tips I've picked up from reading, watching The Biggest Loser and trying out myself and they are chainging my life. Have a great day! Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I love hearing your ideas too. Love, Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment